On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 22:26:54 -0500
Dale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thought I would move this problem to a new thread.  It may not be
> related to the DVD itself.  This is what I am currently testing.  I
> used Kbackup to create a tarball in my /backup directory.  I have the
> most basic setup for Kbackup at the moment.  It creates the tarball
> but does not compress the files themselves but creates a .tar file.
> I think it takes the files, places it in the tarball then compresses
> it or something.  I'm not real sure how Kbackup does its thing.  I
> have it set to create tarballs and the limit is 4.4Gbs.  I set it
> just short of a full 4.7Gb.
>
> I then tried to untar the file to a directory to test if it will
> untar it or not.  It failed.  I guess you figured that since I am
> posting this problem.  I'm just going to post info as I go along
> here.  Feel free to ask for more if you need something else.  This is
> the files that Kbackup generates:
>
> -rw-r--r--  1 dale users 4295682560 2008-07-09 20:15
> Data_2008.07.09-20.11.01_1.tar
> -rw-r--r--  1 dale users 4295361024 2008-07-09 20:52
> Data_2008.07.09-20.11.01_2.tar
>
> This is what I get when I try to untar the #1 tarball:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] / # tar -xvf /backup/Data_2008.07.09-20.11.01_1.tar -C
> /backup/test/
> data/
> data/322229.gif
> data/Address-book-2006-12-27.ldif
> data/alegis-group-sears8.21.03.sxw
> data/bookmarks.html
> data/Camera-pics/
> data/Camera-pics/2006-Christmas/
> data/Camera-pics/2006-Christmas/Christmas-0001.jpeg
> tar: Skipping to next header
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] / #
>
> I did not shorten that.  It is the whole thing.  It did not do much
> and that file is coming off the hard drive not a DVD.  Also note,
> there is a huge list of files that are missing from that tarball.
> Basically, that tarball is about worthless.  This is from the #2
> tarball:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] / # tar -xvf /backup/Data_2008.07.09-20.11.01_2.tar -C
> /backup/test/
> data/Gentoo-stuff/livecd-i686-installer-2007.0.iso
> tar: Skipping to next header
> <  SNIP a long list of files >
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] / #
>
> I didn't see any other errors in the looong list of files.  Also, it
> did untar a lot of files but I really don't know how to tell if it
> did them all or not.  It appears they are all there but I'm not 100%
> sure.  It certainly did better than the first tarball for sure.
>
> Since I didn't use a DVD at all in this process, is this a Kbackup
> problem or a tar problem?  That is the only two programs I used so I
> assume it would be one of those two.  Also note, I use ext3 on that
> partition.  All my others are reiserfs but everything done was on
> ext3.
>
> Other info that may matter:
>
> [ebuild   R   ] app-cdr/cdrtools-2.01.01_alpha41  USE="unicode" 0 kB
> [...]

"NOTE:Due to a KDE3 limitation, it can only backup files each up to 4GB
in size (on 32bit platforms at least; therefore larger files are
skipped)"

If your platform happens to be a 32bit one...

Ah! One more thing. AFAIK Kbackup has nothing to do with GNU Tar. It
utilizes KDE's KTar class, so I wouldn't seek the problem in GNU Tar
(/bin/tar). Actually you can easyly make e test:

tar cpf my_huge_archive.tar --format=posix  "/path/to/many/big/files"
tar xpf my_huge_archive.tar --format=posix -C "/path/to/test/dir/"

I bet it would work.

More info: http://www.gnu.org/software/tar/manual/html_section/Formats.html

--
Best regards,