On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 11:01:02 +0200
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joerg Schilling) wrote:

> Daniel Iliev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > > Since I didn't use a DVD at all in this process, is this a
> > > Kbackup problem or a tar problem?  That is the only two programs
> > > I used so I assume it would be one of those two.  Also note, I
> > > use ext3 on that partition.  All my others are reiserfs but
> > > everything done was on ext3.

Those are not my words. Please, quote correctly.

> From other hints, this seems to be a problem on both sides:
>
> -     The built in tar archiver is far too dumb and does not
> support enough features for backups
>
> -     GNU tar often does not unpack POSIX compliant tar achives
>       and even sometimes has problems with it's own non-standard
> archives.

Care to prove this claim?

> You may like to check the POSIX compliance of the tar archive you
> created to verify at which side your problem is located:

[--snip--]

> > Ah! One more thing. AFAIK Kbackup has nothing to do with GNU Tar. It
> > utilizes KDE's KTar class, so I wouldn't seek the problem in GNU Tar
> > (/bin/tar). Actually you can easyly make e test:

May I ask why did you snipped the quote exactly where the correct
syntax was shown and replaced it with the incorrect one that follows!?

> An important reason not to use kbackup.
>
> Some examples:
> /*--------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
> gtar -cf - /etc/passwd | tartest
> gtar: Removing leading `/' from member names
> 0.014r 0.000u 0.000s 0% 0M 0+0k 0st 0+0io 0pf+0w
> tartest 1.10 (i386-pc-solaris2.11)
(^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  Are you using Gentoo at all or
you just love to abuse its mailing list?)

> Copyright (C) 2002 Jörg Schilling
> This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There
> is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
> PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
>
> Testing for POSIX.1-1990 TAR compliance...
> Warning: illegal character ' ' (0x20) found in field 't_magic[5]'
> Warning: illegal character ' ' (0x20) found in field 't_version[0]'

[--snip--]

Examples of what? Of your incompetence to use GNU Tar?
Check this out:

tar -cf - --format=posix /etc | tartest
tartest 1.12 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu)

Copyright (C) 2002 J�rg Schilling
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is
NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
PURPOSE.

Testing for POSIX.1-1990 TAR compliance...
tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
Archive uses POSIX.1-2001 extensions.
The correctness of the size field cannot be checked for this reason.
Found 1st EOF block at 266978
Found 2nd EOF block at 266979
No deviations from POSIX.1-1990 TAR standard found.
tool disagrees with you.

Read this: http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/tar/posix.html

...and stop spreading FUD!

--