On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 17:39:17 +0300
"Arttu V." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 7/12/08, Arttu V. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > then see if I get around later to try with cdrtools instead of
> > wodim (cdrkit).
>
> Ok, my final conclusion on splitpipe: it compiles but won't work for
> me.
>
> I've produced about a dozen coasters while having tried some
> combinations of two different machines/arches (x86, amd64, both with
> stable core packages), two different burners (trusty last millennium
> HP CD-Writer+ 9100 series and newish el cheapo LG branded
> do-everything hyper-duper-combo thingie), two different tars (GNU tar
> and star) and two different pieces of burning software (cdrkit and
> cdrtools).
>
> Consistently, the failure is at the end of the first volume (disc),
> where splitpipe must have been writing some broken bytes at the end of
> the volume (possibly miscalculating something first?) -- which it
> realizes when it does the reading (as joinpipe) and then there's the
> barf ("Fatal:" probably from splitpipe) and then bad input propagates
> to tar/zip/others which join in in the mass-barfing contest:
>
> UUID of this session is '35a141883a219349 0c2b7efad2ffdaf7'
> joinpipe: volume was started on Sun Jul 13 16:38:38 EEST 2008
> joinpipe: found volume 1, as expected
> star: WARNING: skipping leading '/' on filenames.
> Fatal: during read of a stretch of input: Input/output error
> star: Tar file too small (amount: 101 bytes).
> star: Unexpected EOF on input.
> star: Cannot recover from error - exiting.
> star: 68552 blocks + 5733 bytes (total of 701978213 bytes =
> 685525.59k).

Dirk, Arttu,

Sorry for the late reply. I was out for the weekend.

I've tested splitpipe with DVDs on stable amd64 only. I had no
problems. Later today I'll give the improved ebuild a try.
Currently I have several blank DVDs only, so I can't send any CD burning
results.

I have some questions:

   Dirk:
 - can you post the compile error, please?

   Arttu:
 - Can you, please, post the command you used to make the test backups?
 - Did you try splitpipe on DVDs or on CDs only?

   Dirk, Arttu:
 - Should we get off-list on this subject or at least open a new
thread?

--
Best regards,
Daniel