On 7/14/08, Daniel Iliev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>    Arttu:
>  - Can you, please, post the command you used to make the test backups?

During weekend I used pretty much the spells given on splitpipe's
examples page [1], only changing the directory given to tar and the
drive device (and speed for the older drive, I'm not sure if it can
even *read* at this speed):

tar clz /test | splitpipe -s cdr-80 -o 'cdrecord dev=/dev/cdrw
speed=24 -tao -v -gracetime 2 driveropts=burnfree -data -'

Last run yesterday was using star instead of tar, otherwise using that
same line. Still no luck. Today I tried switching off burnfree and
dramatically dropping speed for the newer drive as well:

tar clz /test | splitpipe -s cdr-80 -o 'cdrecord dev=/dev/cdrom
speed=4 -tao -v -gracetime 2 driveropts=noburnfree -data -'

But the result was the same, otherwise ok contents, but some bytes
crapped at the end of the first disc. Hmm, if this seems to be
consistent, then maybe there is something calculated/const'ed wrong
for sizes of CDRs in splitpipe? I think I caught a glimpse of
"calculate correct sizes" somewhere in its TODOs.

[1] http://ds9a.nl/splitpipe/examples.html

>  - Did you try splitpipe on DVDs or on CDs only?

CDR-80s only, Samsung Pleomax CD-R 52X 700 MB/80 min as it says on top
of the discs still in the spindle. I don't even have DVD media to try
with, only couple 100 piece spindles of those same CD-Rs. Actually, my
motivation with splitpipe is/was getting multivolume CDs working so I
wouldn't have to move to DVDs (or tapes, the horrors!) for a while. :)

>    Dirk, Arttu:
>  - Should we get off-list on this subject or at least open a new
> thread?

If you move, I'll follow -- if I even have any reasonable input for
the discussion (of which I'm not too sure).

--
Arttu V.