Dale wrote:
You are not alone if having "issues" with this kernel. When I tried to run it recently, I noticed a serious slow down in KDE, especially when logging into KDE. My usual login time is about 7 to 8 seconds but with this kernel, try about 30 seconds. My mouse was "jerky" and even Seamonkey was very slow to switch tabs. Nothing changed but the kernel.

Check if you're using a graphics driver that needs its modules recompiled after a kernel upgrade or else it either disables acceleration or falls back to the VESA or FB driver (slow).

I didn't test to long because it was so annoying.
I used make oldconfig and my old kernel config as a starting point. Did you happen to do the same? Maybe it should be done from scratch? Some conflict or something?

Thoughts?

I never needed to do 'make oldconfig'. After emerging a new kernel, I do "make menuconfig" (or xconfig (Qt) or gconfig (Gtk)) and everything is already configured like the currently running kernel. I think this requires the following options enabled though (General setup):

<*> Kernel .config support
[*]   Enable access to .config through /proc/config.gz

I think it's on by default.