Hi,

I am installing Gentoo on an older notebook of mine and have the following
problem:

After a first try to make sound work, where I had OSS checked in the
kernel configuration,
I followed the gentoo alsa guide
        http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml

But got a lot of "unknown symbol" entries at boot (viewed afterwards via
dmesg).
The first seems to be the reason for the others: unknown symbol
request_module.

request_module is defined in vmlinux (via "nm vmlinux | grep
request_module")
but not linked in soundcore.o ("nm soundcore.o | grep request_module" says
U(ndefined))

Since request_module is needed to load kernel modules, no kernel modules
can be loaded, and therefore symbols from such modules are not there.
This leads to the other "unknown symbol" messages. So the question is, why
request_module does not get linked properly.

What I already tried:
I saved the .config and did
        make mrproper
and restored .config.
Then
        make && make modules_install

But that did not help.

Did somebody experience anything similar?
Could somebody give me a hint how to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers. Roland