On Thursday 25 September 2008 17:51:58 Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
> > Do you have any further advice, more detail or some more formalized
> > methodology to 'clean' the world file, in addition to what you have
> > stated above?
>
> Every entry in the world file that has a reverse dependency could be
> removed. Unfortunately there is no tool I know which can calculate
> reverse dependencies correctly. Maybe there is some functionality in
> pkgcore or paludis which I am not aware of. So others need to inform
> us about this.

The loooooong way round is to run 'emerge -pvte world' and look for things
listed that are both highlighted in green and indented. Such packages could
in theory be removed from world as they must be a dep of something.

Intelligence must also be applied of course - somethings are deps and you DO
want them in world

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com