On  2 Oct, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 18:53:04 +0200 (CEST)
> Helmut Jarausch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>
> Hello Helmut,
>
>> I want to create a shared library, say libULIB.so,
>> which needs additional shared libraries, e.g. libmpfr.so and
>> libgmp.so .
>>
>> My users only use the functions provided by libULIB.so.
>>
>> Is there a means to "prelink" libULIB.so, so that the libraries
>> libmpfr.so and libgmp.so are not needed by the user?
>
> You should be able to just provide the libraries to the linker when
> linking your shared object. When *running* the application, your shared
> object (i.e. the loader) should transitively pull in the libs on which
> yours depends. You can check those dependencies using ldd <your-lib>.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Patric

Thanks Patric, but unfortunately that's not what I want.
In this case, these "secondary" libraries (e.g. libmpfr.so and
libgmp.so) have to be present on the target machines together
with an 'rpath' if they are in non-standard directories.

My aim was to let the linker generate a big library which
obseletes the secondary libraries.

Helmut.

--
Helmut Jarausch