On Wednesday 12 November 2008 23:11:35 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> why? the FHS is a stupid standard. Why is following stupid standards a good
> thing? What next? LSB compliance - because it is great to be broken by
> definition?

Why is FHS stupid? I haven't read it fully since 2006 but at the time it was
completely sensible to me. Stuff ends up in predictable sensible places that
you can rely on.

The one thing it did not mention explicitly was funky things like gentoo SLOTs
or /usr/kde/

But, FHS itself already tells you how to do it conceptually: just follow the
lead of /usr/local/ and do the exact same thing somwhere else.

The most impressive part was laying out exactly what kind of things you should
expect to find in

/usr
/usr/local
/opt