>>> [...] what would be the best way to defrag it?
>>
>> By not defragging it.
>>
>> It's not Windows. Windows boxes needs defragging not because fragmentation
>> is a huge problem in itself, but because windows filesystems are a steaming
>> mess of [EMAIL PROTECTED] that do little right and most things wrong. Defrag
>> treats the
>> symptom, not the cause :-)
>
> I don't buy into that argument and never did.  Every few months I copy the
> whole HD to another one and then back to counter fragmentation (ext3) and
> the system becomes noticeably faster after doing it (speed increase in
> emerge --sync for example.)  Maybe it's not fragmentation but rather related
> files being more closely together after I do this.

How exactly do you copy the files? Be careful not to lose some file
property. How about sparse files, for example?
AFAIK, you can make a complete backup of a filesytem with (as root,
running from another system - such as a liveCD)
$ cd /path/to/mountpoint
$ tar -cSv -f /path/to/tarball.tar .

But I am not sure.