Dale wrote:
Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
OK, I once again verified that fragmentation seems to be a big issue
even on Linux.  I just migrated to ext4, and in order to do that I had
to rsync, format and rsync back.  The result is similar to the last
time I did this (over 8 months ago):

emerge --sync takes 15 seconds (at least 3 minutes yesterday)
update-eix takes 2 seconds (20 seconds yesterday)

And I don't believe it's due to ext4.  It's a nice speed-up from ext3,
but not THAT nice.

Well, try as I may, I could not get mine past 10% on resiserfs. Fragmentation happens on any file system but I think the point is that
Linux doesn't get as bad as the windoze file system.  10% or so is not
to bad depending on the size of the files.  Files that are large will
have to be fragmented no matter what file system you use.
I posted in another the reply right after a copy to another drive.  I
think that was before I even booted into the OS and was still on the
CD.  It is around 2% or so.  I doubt given that condition that it could
get any better.

I think the main problem may not be so much fragmentation of files, but rather their position on disk. Even if files are not fragmented, if they are located too far from each other even though they're related (same directory for example) or there's simply too much empty space between files (I think this is intentional in order to reduce fragmentation) then seek times get really bad. After I rsync the data back, it's nicely and sequentially laid out on disk. I guess over time it starts to get further apart again (to combat fragmentation) and emerge --sync goes up from 15 seconds to 2 minutes again. Even though the files aren't fragmented at all.

Some defrag apps for Windoze actually offer to put the files back closer together without trying to defragment at all. I guess this is why :P