On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 03:47, Joerg Schilling
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Andrey Vul" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I get the following error:
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ cdrecord dev=ATA:1,0,0 vmware/Windows\ XP\
>> Professional/shared/vLite.iso
[snip]
>> cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/hd*'. Cannot
>> open or use SCSI driver.
This error is bothering me. It happens even when ran as root, yet I
have /dev/hdc.

> You did not install cdrecord correctly (suid root is needed).
I need to suid root a program that fails when ran as root?!?!?
Something is very wrong.

> You called cdrecord with an outdated dev= argument.

I had permission denied on /dev/sg0 too, so dev= is sort of irrelevant.

Also, I had the same error during cdrecord -scanbus, even though I am
in the cdrom and disk groups.

Also, the same error happened when it was run *as root*. And not sudo, but su.

--
Andrey Vul

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?