Am Dienstag, den 16.12.2008, 01:59 -0600 schrieb Dale:
> Dale wrote:
> > Dale wrote:
> >
> >> This is interesting.  I am starting a new install on my backup drive.
> >> I'm part way through the install, fetching all the KDE stuff right now.
> >> This is what I got from the little frag script:
> >>
> >> r...@smoker / # /root/fragck.pl /backup/
> >> 0.953336175120985% non contiguous files, 1.02414182192021 average
> >> fragments.
> >> r...@smoker / #
> >>
> >> Less than 1% is my starting point I guess.  This currently has ext3 on
> >> it.  I did start out with a freshly formatted file system.  Also, this
> >> is all on one big partition at the moment.
> >>
> >> I'll post later what it says after compiling a few packages.  I figure
> >> KDE should stir up something.  LOL
> >>
> >> Dale
> >>
> >> :-)  :-)
> >>

> > This is after a almost complete install.  About to start OOo.
> >
> > r...@smoker / # /root/fragck.pl /backup/
> > 2.00854614717917% non contiguous files, 1.04611358582092 average fragments.
> > r...@smoker / #
> >
> > r...@smoker / # du -shc /backup/
> > 5.6G    /backup/
> > 5.6G    total
> > r...@smoker / #
> >
> > I would assume that would be something like it was when I started my
> > current install years ago.  Which is at 10% or so now.
> >
> > Thoughts anyone?
> >
> > Dale
> >
> > :-)  :-)
> >

> OK.  I completed my install and got everything working.  This is what I
> got after that:
>
> 2.24954051453251% non contiguous files, 1.06439409487064 average fragments.
>
> I then ran shake just to see if it changed for the better or worse.  I
> got this surprising answer:
>
> 25.2668178520421% non contiguous files, 1.41060290111655 average fragments.
>
> You may want to look twice at the decimal point.  It appears that shake
> makes things much worse or the fragck script has some serious issues
> one.  I have no clue which.
>
> I'm not to worried about this since I will be moving this over to the
> other drive anyway.  I would like to know what command I should use to
> tar up everything, transfer it over and untar it all on one line if
> possible?  I plan to do this while booted from a Gentoo CD.  I just want
> to try this so that it will be compressed then transfered and untared
> once on the way.  Does this make since?  I have used cp -av in the past.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)
With "transfer" do you mean over a network, or to another local drive?

You can of course use something like
# tar czpf - | ssh remote - tar xzpf -C /dir
(above probably not syntactically correct), but there are faster and
easier options:

"cp -a" costs little resources locally and maintains POSIX permissions,
while "rsync -aASH --numeric-ids" is perfect for remote copy.

You can use rsync also locally. It will (with the "-A" switch) also
transfer POSIX-ACLs, if that is of any concern. It is also useful, if a
transfer breaks at some moment, because it will kind of continue it :)

Omiting the "-v" switch can significantly speed up things - depends on
your terminal. In every case it helps to only see the errors, and not
let them scroll away by everything that went well.

Bye,
Daniel

--
PGP key: http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de/pks/lookup?search=0xBB9D4887&op=get
# gpg --recv-keys --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net 0xBB9D4887