Momesso Andrea wrote:
On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 01:03:46PM -0800, kashani wrote:
I like LVM snapshotting for databases, but that takes some planning and you have to stop the database. However your mysqlbackup are actually very unsafe because I know for certain that Mediawiki uses Innodb tables. mysqlbackup does not guarantee a lock (I forget the actual details of the issue) for Innodb so your backup could be crap. Chances are you'd be fine on a database that isn't very busy, but don't get in the habit of doing it that way.

kashani

So there is no way if I want to keep the databases runnung?

If your database isn't terribly busy I'd setup a second Mysql instance on the same machines and make it a slave of your primary. Then when it's time to backup you can stop the slave and make a backup without disturbing the master instance.

kashani