On Tuesday 16 December 2008, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi Willie,
>
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 1:48 PM, Willie Wong <ww...@princeton.edu> wrote:
> > (Sorry if this one is a dupe... my SSH connection went kaplui and I
> > wasn't quite sure whether the mail got sent)
> >
> > On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 01:04:25PM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> >>    I'm looking around for up to date instructions/wikis/howtos on how
> >> to set up Samba on my CUPS server to allow me to print from Windows.
> >
> > Why SAMBA?
> >
> > I've recently set up printing for a small home network following this
> > guide: http://www.owlfish.com/thoughts/winipp-cups-2003-07-20.html
> >
> > Basically you just need
> >
> >  1) Correct permissions in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
> >      a) You need the line "Port 631" to allow remote access
> >      b) Maybe (I am not sure about this one) you need "Browsing On"
> >          to allow sharing?
> >      c) You need the section for "<Location />" to have "Allow From
> >          192.168.0.*" or whatever netmask you use.
> >  2) Either
> >      a) A working printer that you can print locally from the cups
> >          server via "lpr -P<NAME>". In this case you can just tell
> >          the Windows computers to print to
> >            http://<cups server ip>:631/printers/<NAME>
> >          using a generic postscript driver.
>
> Is this true for non-postscript printers? If so it's a great solution.
>
> I can get to the printers page on the server's Cups' GUI:
>
> http://192.168.1.59:631/printers
>
> It gives me a long, ugly descriptive name for the printer so I tried:
>
> lpr -P HP_PSC_1600_series_USB_1 optimize_mythdb.sh
>
> which did print correctly so I'm good to go so far.
>
> >     or
> >      b) A working printer for which you have the Windows drivers. You
>
> The Windows driver for this printer does not support network printing
> so I don't think this is an option.

You shouldn't need a MS Windows network printing enabled driver to do this
(with an lpd printer), nor a Samba client on your Linux boxen for that
matter.  Have a look here:

http://forums.opensuse.org/archives/sls-archives/archives-linux-tweaks/archives-howtos-discussions/378052-printing-linux-lpd-printer-no-samba-required.html

--
Regards,