On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 3:45 AM, Peter Humphrey
<pe...@humphrey.ukfsn.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 December 2008 10:45:58 Mick wrote:
>
>> It could still be a machine naming issue if you are pointing your client
>> to e.g. http://192.168.2.2:631 instead of http://serv.ethnet:631 - which
>> is what I suspect the SSL certificate's CN record shows.
>
> (There's always one more detail that gets forgotten.) I am pointing my
> client to serv.ethnet, not any IP address. It decides for itself, part-way
> through setting-up the printer, that it's now connected to a different host
> from before.
>
>> Either way - if you disable authentication with SSL this problem will go
>> away.
>
> - but remain unsolved. Thanks anyway.
>
> --
> Rgds
> Peter

Hi Peter,
   Sorry that I'm not much involved in this thread. I'm traveling and
trying to catch up so I'm reading on a laptop screen. I'm a bit out of
touch.

   I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding your setup. How many
machines are you working with? Is this home and it's a couple of
machines, or is it a work environment where there might be other
strange bits of hardware in between that could be filtering and/or
applying rules of some unknown type?

   Is the printer an HP (hplip was mentioned) and if so why use the
PPD file from linuxprinting.org at all? For my simple home setup I
didn't need to do that with hplip installed on each machine. (Cups
server as well as Linux clients) I'm actually visiting my parents
where my dad just purchased an HP 1522nf printer. It's connected to
his Linux box using USB. hplip more or less automatically made the
printer available to the Gentoo machines on the network so I didn't
have to do anything to gt them printer. since I'm on my Vista-based
laptop I thought I'd try printing from here. I created a new printer,
pointed the laptop at

http://192.168.1.2:631/printers/HP_1522nf

and then let Windows find it. Once it did I had to choose the wrong
driver as I don't have one for the 1522, so I chose one for a 1300
series laserjet, asked Windows to print the test page, and out popped
a printed page.

   If you cannot make headway then I'm wondering if maybe you
shouldn't go back to basics. Drop the SSL stuff, connect to the IP
address directly, get it working, and then investigate adding these
other things in until something breaks?

   Whatever you do, and to everyone else reading, best wishes for the
Holiday Season. Let's hope for peace.

Cheers,
Mark