Harry Putnam wrote:
I don't have an entry for net.eth1 in rc-update show

I don't have any mention of eth1 in /etc/conf.d/net
(only eth0)

Nonetheless something continues to try to start net.eth1 during boot.
What else controls that?  If its not in rc-update or /etc/conf.d/net
it shouldn't happen.

I have a few other boot problems...I'm not sure where they arise from.

hwclock is meddling about during shutdown.
Again, it isn't shown in rc-update and /etc/conf.d/hwclock has this in it:

  # If you want to set the Hardware Clock to the current System Time
  # during shutdown, then say "YES" here.  You normally don't need to
  # do this if you run a ntp daemon.
  clock_systohc="NO"

Still, on a shutdown I can't get past this output:
hwclock waiting for localmount
 (Over and over)

I have to hit a manual reset on the computer to get past hwclock waiting for localmount

Also klogd cannot be stopped by reboot or shutdown.  But at least,
unlike hwclock, after a pause the shutdown proceeds anyway.

 eix -Ic openrc
  sys-apps/openrc (0....@12/25/08): OpenRC manages the services, startup
  and shutdown of a host

 eix -Ic udev
  [I] sys-fs/udev (135...@12/24/08): Linux dynamic and persistent device
  naming support (aka userspace devfs)

1) net.eth1 problem

There is a udev hook for starting net.* init scripts, /lib/udev/rules.d/90-network.rules to be precise

2) Openrc problem
I'm asuming here the openrc problems are from a recent upgrade you have done and not inslalled the the runlevels required sadly they are not done automatically. Have a look in /usr/share/openrc/runlevels these are needed for openrc to work copy any that don't exist in /etc/runlevels most important are sysinit and shutdown, boot and default are likey to be fine