On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 02:48:29PM -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
> I don't doubt all can be done in other ways, but that one tool
> combines a lot of functionality... though I'll admit I mostly use it
> for checking dependencies and reverse dependencies (q doesn't do
> reverse I don't think) and just querying packages like you do with
> equery and q.

q works... to a certain extent.

[04:01 PM]wwong ~ $ qdepends -Q pstoedit
media-gfx/autotrace-0.31.1-r3
[04:01 PM]wwong ~ $ equery depends pstoedit
[ Searching for packages depending on pstoedit... ]
media-gfx/autotrace-0.31.1-r3 (pdf? media-gfx/pstoedit)
media-gfx/inkscape-0.46-r5 (postscript? >=media-gfx/pstoedit-3.44)

So it's not perfect. equery works better, but slowly.

I agree with you about the tools: it is hard to change one's habit and
use new tools. I keep telling myself to learn eix but just never got
around to doing it.

Willie W. Wong                                      ww...@math.princeton.edu
408 Fine Hall,  Department of Mathematics,  Princeton University,  Princeton
A mathematician's reputation rests on the number of bad proofs he has given.