On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 2:19 PM, damian <damian.o...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Chipset of the audio card? Laptop model?
>>
>> It's one of those built-in intel-hda cards and the laptop is an Acer.
>> The mic actually used to work.
> We have the same problem then! I had a laptop Acer (now it's my
> girfriends') Aspire 5720G. After a kernel upgrade the mic stopped
> working. So far I had no luck.
>
> My girlfriend just bought an external microphone (she's more pragmatic
> than me) and that worked.
>
> Sorry I'm not able to help.

You guys might need to specify your specific model of hda-intel in
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa since it may not be auto-detecting the
capabilities of which chipset your laptop has. For example on my
desktop I added this line:

options snd-hda-intel model=6stack-dig

Please read the kernel module documentation for a large list of
hda-intel chips and configurations. Hopefully you can find one that
works for you (if that has anything to do with it).

/usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt

good luck :)
Paul