>>> It's one of those built-in intel-hda cards and the laptop is an Acer.
>>> The mic actually used to work.
>> We have the same problem then! I had a laptop Acer (now it's my
>> girfriends') Aspire 5720G. After a kernel upgrade the mic stopped
>> working. So far I had no luck.
>>
>> My girlfriend just bought an external microphone (she's more pragmatic
>> than me) and that worked.
>>
>> Sorry I'm not able to help.
>
> You guys might need to specify your specific model of hda-intel in
> /etc/modprobe.d/alsa since it may not be auto-detecting the
> capabilities of which chipset your laptop has. For example on my
> desktop I added this line:
>
> options snd-hda-intel model=6stack-dig
>
> Please read the kernel module documentation for a large list of
> hda-intel chips and configurations. Hopefully you can find one that
> works for you (if that has anything to do with it).
>
> /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt
>
> good luck :)
> Paul

Thanks Paul.  I've been using model=acer and I just tried a couple
others, some worked some didn't.  I also tried removing and replacing
my second USB sound card definition.  The strange thing is I've come
back to my original config and it's working now.  Could another file
have gotten out of order and my playing with the settings got it back
together?

- Grant