On Wednesday 14 January 2009 08:58:11 Mick wrote:

> Peter, ldap is only required if you are authenticating clients on your
> LAN/WAN using an ldap server.  If you had hundreds of clients and a need
> to manage frequently changing client membership and passwds, then ldap
> would be desirable to manage them effectively.

Yes, I know what ldap is for, and that I have no use for it. I have a vague
memory of an earlier version of cups requiring ldap, but the requirement
seems to have gone away. I was just clutching at straws - still am.

> Increasing the verbosity of the access and error cups logs will show you
> what you need to (re)configure.

It hasn't shown me yet, but I'll keep on plugging away at running test
cases.

Thanks to all for help so far.

--
Rgds