On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 09:35:11AM -0600, Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 2:58 AM, Wolfgang Liebich
> <wolfgang.lieb...@siemens.com> wrote:
> > Furthermore yesterday I had a total lockup when I came to work at the
> > morning --- could not login at kdm, kdm would ignore all keyboard
> > input etc. I had to do a hard restart with the "Magic SysRQ" key
> > (remount ro, hard reboot).
>
> Do you have evdev installed? Without it, you probably won't have any
> keyboard or mouse. Recent xorg made dramatic changes to the way
> hardware is detected/configured by using HAL and evdev. xorg.conf is
> basically unused now when it comes to configuring hardware. I don't
> even have keyboard or mouse, or video modelines or anything like that
> in mine. Search the list archives or the gentoo web forums, there are
> many many people who had the same issues (assuming it's the cause of
> yours).

Evdev is installed, but I configured the kbd driver (I have a MS
Natural Keyboard, btw --- what's the best driver for that keyboard?).
I still have an xorg.conf (and I'm not very inclined to change it as
long as it works :-).

Furthermore -- after the reboot everything worked again as before. It
seems to have been some fluke, but I want to know where it comes from.

TIA,
Wolfgang