This list may be too good for its own good... hehe.

Sorry to bring this up here but in fact the behavior I'll describe in
a moment is something I've learned to love from yrs of linux us with
this enabled.  Including the last few yrs on gentoo.

I add this into xorg.conf in one of the display subsections
(at the asterisks):

   Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes       "1280x1024" #"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
**      Virtual     2048 1536
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection

I'm using a 17 inch monitor so that (in X) gives me a 2048x1536
virtual resolution in each of my virtual desktops.  Bigger than my
monitor a fair bit so I'm able to pan around this monster by mousing
to the screen edges which pans the rest into view.  Essentially the
limits of the hardware desktop are only a port hole into the bigger
virtual desktop.

It can be very disconcerting to the uninitiated... which is a side
benefit in that it keeps people off my machine.

I use  windowsXP a fair bit for video editing (I'm a semi-pro editor
and produce quite a few videos of events) and I find the tools on
linux are too labor and time intensive compared to the adobe tools
available on windows. Even those tools and others like Vegas are hard
to learn and require a lot of time spent in usage to get at all fast
with them.  (Please don't bring up one or another of the
available emulations as that still introduces another layer of
complexity)

Anyway cutting to the chase here... given that I need to spend a good
bit of time on windows... I sorely miss my huge virtual desktop.

So wondering if any of you fellow part time windows users know of or
have heard of any kind of application for windows that would allow
such behavior?

ps- I've also asked this question on the main
microsoft.public.windowsXP.bla.bla   group. (in case you were thinking
of suggesting that)