On 31 Jan 2009, at 20:09, Harry Putnam wrote:
I'm using a 17 inch monitor so that (in X) gives me a 2048x1536
virtual resolution in each of my virtual desktops.  Bigger than my
monitor a fair bit so I'm able to pan around this monster by mousing
to the screen edges which pans the rest into view.  Essentially the
limits of the hardware desktop are only a port hole into the bigger
virtual desktop.

This is definitely available on Windows using 3rd-party apps.

I'm pretty sure that - years ago - Matrox used to offer to install some utility when you installed their graphics drivers; the utility had a little icon that sat next to the clock, and when you double- clicked on it it opened a configuration window that offered options like this.

Nvidia offer some really nice display utilities (or "enhanced driver" or whatever you want to call it) these days. I would consider their dual-head options worth the price of a graphics card, so I would see if you can try them out somewhere & see if it offers this functionality.

Stroller.