With unit processors approaching up to 128 Cores on a single GPU I can
see why the guys at all those institutions want to put EL lights in
their big hawking 4 card SLI rigs?

That's like 1600 Cores on a single system, Even Blue Gene L only has
Dual Core PowerPC 440's, whith AMD's 4870 having 800 SPU's on a single
die, the X2 has two of them; oh and did we mention they are cheap?
(Blue Gene cost 100 million, right now a 4870x2 is only $500).

No they would never be useful for anything other then rendering
bouncing bobbies! ;)

--
Hazen Valliant-Saunders
IT/IS Consultant