On 2009-02-05, Steven Lembark <lemb...@wrkhors.com> wrote:

>> A downside is that you'll need fast machines to comfortably build
>> packages.  I wouldn't use it on my Pentium 3 800Mhz for example.  That
>> would take ages to compile system/world with recent GCC versions.  I
>> guess GCC was much faster in the 2.x versions back then?
>
> How painful is it, really, to run the job when you
> are asleep or away from the machine? Cron the update
> or use "at" to get the changes you want when you are
> away from the console.

If you can spend a week installing Gentoo, it's not a problem.
If you need to have a machine up and running in an hour, it's a
problem.  Building OOo on the last install I did took well over
30 hours.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! HOORAY, Ronald!!
                                  at               Now YOU can marry LINDA