On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 2:38 PM, Joshua D Doll <joshua.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Paul Hartman wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I agree. Everything except the grub part. It's well written but it
>>> requires more knowledge about the actual hardware than the rest of it,
>>> especially if you do it wrong and have to recover.
>>>

>> I helped my brother install Ubuntu and the lack of control over grub
>> was frustrating. It just did what it wanted to do without asking
>> (which was install grub onto the wrong drive with the wrong drive
>> numbers, because the BIOS boot order did not match Ubuntu's detected
>> drive order). If that drive had been part of a RAID or had some
>> important metadata in the boot sector, it could have been a disaster.
>>
>> No distro is perfect. Gentoo is perfect for me, though :)
>>

> I think you mean to say no boot loader is perfect. ;-)
>
> --Joshua Doll

The ubuntu installer did not tell me which drive it was installing the
boot loader onto, nor did it give me a choice -- it chose the one it
thought was appropriate (and it was wrong).

If you google for ubuntu grub sata ide you can see it happens to
nearly everyone who has a mixture of IDE and SATA drives where they
boot from IDE but linux gives sda to sata and sdc to IDE or whatever.