>> > You're using the wrong interface name. MadWifi uses ath0, ath5k uses
>> > wlan0.
>
>> Yes but I have:
>>
>> udev: renamed network interface wlan0 to ath0
>>
>> Could that be a problem?
>
> I don't understand why you need to rename the interface from the standard
> kernel nomenclature to something non-standard, but that's by the by.

The wireless card uses madwifi right now, as I try to get ath5k
working, so there's a udev rule that matches the hardware address with
the ath0 label.

> You still have conflicting names if you have wlan0 in conf.d/net. Another

That's taken care of.

> possibility is that ath5k does not support master mode yet, I get an
> error trying to switch it to Master here.

The madwifi/ath5k guys say it should work in 2.6.28 which I'm on.  The
latest is I'm getting this directly from hostapd:

Failed to set interface ath0 to master mode.
nl80211 driver initialization failed.
rmdir[ctrl_interface]: No such file or directory
ELOOP: remaining socket: sock=5 eloop_data=...

I'm sure my procedure is correct now, but I don't know why ath0 won't
go into master mode.

- Grant