I am using Gentoo for some years now, and installing Gentoo on a new
box isn't hard at all, but you have to be prepared. You need a running
linux-system, a live-CD (or USB-Stick), and the handbook.

So, i have SLAX and the handbook on my USB-Stick which i use to install
Gentoo. Boot SLAX, look at the handbook, and the installation is pretty
easy. When i started using Linux (with SuSE 7.1 iirc), i soon tried other
distros and got stuck with Gentoo, and i had no problems with installing,
even when i was a total noob at linux.

When someone ask me: "Hey, you know that linux-stuff. I have heard it must
be pretty cool, i want to give it a try! Which distro should i try?", i
think two seconds about it and then always say "Gentoo", because when
someone is not able to install it, i think he should not use a computer at
all. I think there are a lot of people using a computer who should not be
allowed to use one ;)

Installing Gentoo (and using Linux (maybe except Ubuntu) in general)
forces you to learn how computer and operation systems works, how one
gearwheel fits into another etc.

> If they want it, then they *have* to learn it.

--
Dominic Kexel <nexe...@evil-monkey-in-my-closet.com>