On Tuesday 07 April 2009, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 April 2009, Paul Hartman wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 9:14 AM, sean <tech.j...@myfairpoint.net> wrote:
> > > Is there a repository somewhere that you can download fdi files for a
> > > device?
> > > It seems that would make things easier for all, since many people
> > > likely use the same devices in exactly or closely similar ways?
> > >
> > > I have to get my trackball working again the way I had before the
> > > upgrade.
> >
> > Not that I know of (but it's a good idea!); once you understand the
> > basic FDI syntax it is pretty easy to migrate your settings. Find the
> > device name of the trackball you want to set up in
> > /proc/bus/input/devices and then create an FDI which mimics the
> > settings you used in xorg.conf. The Ubuntu wiki has a decent little
> > tutorial on it:
> >
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Input
>
> which pretty much makes hal a bad idea. 'use hal so you don't have to edit
> files' and then have to edit hal's convoluted xml files instead of the
> simple, easy to read xorg.conf ...

I've reached a point where I feel I need to move away from this, before I
cause damage to something!  I am really annoyed that something which worked
fine (for me and it seems others too) since late 2003, is now broken and 3
hours later I am still struggling to get it working.

The human interface is NOT something people should be allowed to mess up in
this fashion without providing exhaustive documentation.  People who want
fancy GUIs to setup their windowing system have a solution already:  they use
bloody MSWindows!  If they want to use Linux then they have Ubuntu.

For me the documentation is not exhaustive *because* three hours later I still
xml fdi file is not explained anywhere ... and it seems my guessing skills
are poor when all I want to do is get on with my work, rather than take a
test on reading the mind of xorg devs.

I have managed to:

1. Set gb as the default keyboard and used
the /use-multiple-layouts-with-kbd.fdi.bz2 with some mods to be able to
switch languages as before.
2. Set up the synaptics driver so that it performs a right area - vertical
scroll.

However, I have failed to:

3. Effect a left click when I tap on the synaptics pad.
4. Double click on the synaptics pad.
5. Press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to restart xorg

This is what my fdi currently looks like:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<deviceinfo version="0.2">

<!-- Keyboard configuration -->
<device>
   <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.keyboard">
   <merge key="input.x11_options.XkbModel" type="string">pc105</merge>
   <merge key="input.x11_options.XkbLayout" type="string">gb,el</merge>
   <merge key="input.x11_options.XkbOptions"
type="strlist">grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll,compose:menu</merge>
</match>
</device>

<!-- touchpad -->
<device>
   <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.touchpad">
   <match key="info.product" contains="SynPS/2">
        <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">synaptics</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.SHMConfig" type="string">true</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.VertEdgeScroll"
type="string">true</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.HorizEdgeScroll"
type="string">true</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton1" type="string">true</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.ClickButton1" type="string">true</merge>
   </match>
   </match>
</device>
</deviceinfo>