On Friday 10 April 2009, walt wrote:

> The big picture first:  The plan is to use evdev *instead* of the
> drivers in xf86-input-keyboard and xf86-input-mouse,
[snip...]

> In my xorg.conf there is no mention whatever of mice or keyboards,
> and xf86-input-keyboard and xf86-input-mouse have been completely
> deleted from my machine. (xf86-input-evdev is still necessary, of
> course.)

I seem to have both of these installed and following the xorg ebuild post
install messages I rebuilt them since they showed up when I ran:

# qlist -I -C x11-drivers/
x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev
x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard
x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse
x11-drivers/xf86-input-synaptics
x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati

Are you saying that the above drivers are no longer needed because evdev will
do everything and do it correctly?

PS.  I also needed to add an entry in
my /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-xinput-configuration.fdi for the synaptics
behaviour to be as it was before the xorg upgrade.
--
Regards,
Mick