Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking at my system and I'm surprised to find dbus running, since I put
> -dbus -hal in my /etc/make.conf.
>
> msoul...@anton:~$ ps -ef | grep dbus | grep -v grep
> msoulier  9221     1  0 Apr12 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --fork
> --print-pid 4 --print-address 6 --session
> msoulier  9222     1  0 Apr12 tty1     00:00:00 /usr/bin/dbus-launch
> --sh-syntax --exit-with-session
>
> msoul...@anton:~$ rc-config list | grep dbus
>   dbus
>
> I didn't configure it to start, so something started it. I'm running XFCE4 so
> I suspect it started it, since it's running as me and not root.
>
> So lets see who needs it.
>
> msoul...@anton:~$ equery belongs /usr/bin/dbus-daemon
> [ Searching for file(s) /usr/bin/dbus-daemon in *... ]
> sys-apps/dbus-1.2.3-r1 (/usr/bin/dbus-daemon)
> msoul...@anton:~$ emerge --pretend --verbose --depclean sys-apps/dbus
>
> Calculating dependencies... done!
>   sys-apps/dbus-1.2.3-r1 pulled in by:
>     dev-libs/dbus-glib-0.76

> Packages installed:   631
> Packages in world:    155
> Packages in system:   51
> Required packages:    631
> Number to remove:     0
> msoul...@anton:~$ emerge --pretend --verbose --depclean sys-apps/dbus-glib

> That's odd. Nothing needs it? Then who started it?
>
> It's daemonized so I don't see a parent process beyond init.
>
> Mike

Do you have any of the following running on your system?

consolekit
cupsd
hald

Those according to a scan of /etc/init.d needs dbus.  This may not be
true in your case since you have -dbus for your USE flag but it is here
although I have dbus turned on.

I hope that will help you with a place to look at least.

Dale

:-)  :-)