* Alan McKinnon (alan.mckin...@gmail.com) [20.04.09 01:21]:
> On Monday 20 April 2009 01:03:59 Liviu Andronic wrote:
> > Hello all,
> > I have a (nasty) issue with the system start-up, and probably with
> > corrupted file-system. On start-up, I get several error messages (see
> > below). I suspect I started having these messages after Gentoo crashed
> > once, but I couldn't recall the actual circumstances.
> > The problem is that, for example, MPD will not remember it's last
> > state before shutdown, and will be unable to recover the it's last
> > state. I have no idea where to start correcting the issue; any ideas
> > welcome.
> > Thanks,
> > Liviu
> >
> > Start-up messags:
> > ln: accessing `/var/lib/init.d/started/rmnologin': Permission denied
>
> That's a very unusual location for init scripts. Did you put them there,
> instead of in the more usual /etc/init.d/?

That's not the init script dir. that's svcdir in baselayout 1. It is
used to save the state of the init scripts. So it is natural that the
init process accesses it.

> {snip}
>
> > lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root  19 2009-04-19 17:32 keymaps -> /etc/init.d/keymaps
> > ??????????  ? ?    ?      ?                ? laptop_mode
>
> This is almost certainly disk corruption. Boot from a CD and do an fsck on
> all
> disk volumes

And I must stress this: check all your filesystems.

Sebastian

--
 " Religion ist das Opium des Volkes. "  |   _   ASCII ribbon campaign
                              Karl Marx  |  ( )   against HTML e-mail