On Friday 22 May 2009, james wrote:
> Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > I think you need to set corepointer=0 in the FDI file or something
> > similar to that. Or if you're using xorg.conf point it to a specific
> > mouse instead of /dev/mice or whatever the catch-all mouse device is.
> > May be able to get rid of it "even more" with udev rules or something
> > to just make it go away. Sorry I don't have specific examples, I'm on
> > a windows machine right now.
>
> I'm sure your information is good. But, I need specifics....

This is from my /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-xinput-configuration.fdi:
<!-- touchpad -->
<device>
   <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.touchpad">
   <match key="info.product" contains="SynPS/2">
        <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">synaptics</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.SHMConfig" type="string">true</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.VertEdgeScroll"
type="string">true</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.HorizEdgeScroll"
type="string">true</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton1" type="string">1</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.ClickButton1" type="string">1</merge>
   </match>
   </match>
</device>

Try modifying the above with something like:
<merge key="input.x11_options.corepointer" type="string">0</merge>

You may want to try my fdi as is first.  It may just work without problems in
your setup and the touchpad will become useful again.

Note: This is on a system which does not use xorg.conf anymore.  I am not sure
how things get parsed by xorg when both an fdi and a xorg.conf are present.

HTH.
--
Regards,
Mick