On Friday 19 June 2009 00:08:04 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 22:45:50 +0100, Mick wrote:
> > Why did they *have* to move it to /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6.
>
> They didn't, they moved it from there to /etc/conf.d where all the other
> rc config files live.
>
> > I am still confused with the difference between /etc/rc.conf
> > and /etc/conf.d/rc ...
>
> Then moved that one out of /etc/conf.d :(

Lets not confuse the fellow with our awesome wit :-)

Mick, it's a cleanup operation with openrc to get things a bit more sane.

Unix let's you put config files any damn place you want them. So it's up to
you to put them someplace sane. The recent trend is to use a structure like

/etc/thing.conf
/etc/thing.d/*

The first one is used for global settings that affect the entire package (or
system in this case as it's openrc).
The second has individual files, one for each logical sub-section. Package
managers can then update individual bits independently - trying to do updates
to one massive file with sed is a distinctly non-trivial operation.

With baselayout-1, the layout was a bit haphazard. baselayout-2 and openrc
took the opportunity to tidy all this up.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com