On 29 Jun, Dale wrote:
> Helmut Jarausch wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm using portage-2.2_rc33. And it has become smarter with every new
>> release. Still, I don't understand why it's sometimes smarter than other
>> times.
>>
>> In most cases now, it's able to handle cases where installed old
>> packages which depend on, say, libXX-version-1, block emerging
>> libXX-version-2 by unmerging the old version itself.
>>
>> But sometimes, like today when upgrading from various qt-...-4.5.1
>> to qt-...-4.5.2 packages it produces tons of blockings which it
>> cannot resolve itself.
>>
>> How can I help portage to resolve this blockings itself in a smart way?
>> (trying to do
>> emerge --keep-going -j2 -1 --ask --update --newuse --deep @system @world
>> automatically.
>> )
>>
>> Many thanks for a hint,
>> Helmut.
>>

> Another thought to.  The option --with-bdeps y may help.  It may not but
> it could be worth a try.  I have ran into problems where that helped and
> have read where a few others have ran into similar problems and that
> fixed it.  It just tells emerge to dig a little deeper from my
> understanding.
>
> Can't think of anything else at the moment.

Thanks Dale, --with-bdeps y seems to help.

By the way, the '-j <n>' option of emerge has nothing to do
with the MAKEOPTS option.
The -j option of emerge require parallel emerging of several packages at
a time while the -j option in MAKEOPTS requires parallel make of a
single package.

In some phases (like configure, bzip of the man pages, etc) emerge
cannot use multiple cores for a single package. Therefore the -j option
of emerge tries to emerge several packages at a time unless dependencies
forbid that. It's quite clever in that respect.

Helmut.

--
Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik