On Sat, Jul 04, 2009 at 04:38:16PM -0400, Penguin Lover David Relson squawked:
> Since the target machine is an embedded 486SX with limited mass
> storage, operation without X is a  must.
>
> I've got dosemu version 1.4.0.1 built with flags "X gpm -debug -svga".

[06:33 PM]wwong ~ $ euse -i svga
global use flags (searching: svga)
[-    ] svga - Adds support for SVGAlib (graphics library)

local use flags (searching: svga)
no matching entries found
[06:33 PM]wwong ~ $ emerge --search svgalib
Searching...
[ Results for search key : svgalib ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

*  media-libs/svgalib
      Latest version available: 1.9.25
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of files: 963 kB
      Homepage:      http://www.svgalib.org/
      License:       BSD

Perhaps you should try to enable the svga use flag?

Murphy's Law of Government:
  If anything can go wrong, it will do so in triplicate.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 939 days, 21:20