On Sat, Jul 04, 2009 at 07:39:31PM -0400, David Relson wrote

> > Perhaps you should try to enable the svga use flag?
>
> Worth a try, though VGA graphics are all that's needed ...

  You need svgalib not for the resolution, but for the ability to do
graphics on a text console.  Before you build anything I recommend doing
2 things...

1) putting "-svga" in USE in /etc/make.conf

svga has to pound away directly at I/O ports in order to do graphics in
a text console.  This requires root-level permissions.  So dosemu will
need to run either setuid or setgid.  If you put "svga" in your main USE
variable, you'll find *A LOT* of stuff will eventually be linked to the
svga libs and it will all need to run either setuid or setgid

2) putting the line...

app-emulation/dosemu svga

...in /etc/portage/package.use so that only dosemu links to the svga
libs and needs to run setuid/setgid.

  Note that you should really be running dosemu *FROM A TEXT CONSOLE* in
order to emulate running in DOS on a 486SX.  An optional flag is "gpm",
which links in support for using the mouse on a text console.  Does your
program, or any other program you run in dosemu, require mouse support?

  Plan B) If all else fails, enter the line...

games-emulation/dosbox svga

...in /etc/portage/package.use and remember "-svga" in USE.  Then
"emerge --ask dosbox".  Same notes about svga apply here.  dosbox is
damn good for DOS emulation.  I've run QBASIC, and dBASE IV complete with
DOS-4GW memory extender under dosbox, as well as a bunch of *REALLY* old
DOS games.  What takes the cake is that I was actually able to install
Windows 3.1 in dosbox, just like the "good-ole-days" when you installed
Windows over DOS.  This was to run an ancient Chessmaster 3000 game.  It
runs under either Win3.1 or Win95, but I never could get it working
under WINE.  Under Windows 3.1 on dosbox, the emulation is perfect, and
Chessmaster 3000 whips me mercilessly, just like before.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>