At Sat, 22 Aug 2009 21:12:53 -0400 7v5w7go9ub0o <7v5w7go9u...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Allan Gottlieb wrote:
>> I have received a "flip video, ultra series (records 60 minutes)"
>> digital camcorder for a present.
>>
>> This works fine on windows, but I would naturally much prefer to use
>>  gentoo.  The windows software can presumably do a bunch of stuff but
>>  I would be very happy to simply
>>
>> * Copy video from the camera to the computer. * Show, on the
>> computer, video that has been copied on to the computer. * Delete
>> video from the computer.
>>
>> I am reasonably experienced with gentoo, quite experienced with
>> linux, but a complete novice with digital video.
>>
>> A google search suggests strongly that there is support on gentoo,
>> but I have yet to find a HOWTO and would greatly appreciate a
>> pointer.
>>
>> thanks, allan
>>

> "The Flip Video Ultra works great in linux. The device is mounted as a
> USB mass storage device. The videos are avi files encoded in mpeg4. Just
> drag and drop. Use Totem or mplayer to play. Very nice."

Right!  I was mislead by my foolishly reading the vendor documentation
with their mention about special conversion software etc.  You are quite
right that just plugging the flip in via usb and ignoring all of gnome's
attempts to do anything special, results in a filesystem that contains
the videos in a subdirectory and you are also right that totem has no
trouble at all with them.  Indeed just clicking the icon in nautilus
does the trick.

Thanks for setting me straight.

allan