On Wednesday 02 September 2009 14:02:26 Dale wrote:
> Xi Shen wrote:
> > where is the bash_profile? i cannot find it on my gentoo.
>
> r...@smoker / # locate bash_profile
> /etc/skel/.bash_profile
> /usr/portage/app-shells/bash/files/dot-bash_profile
> /usr/portage/media-tv/mythtv/files/bash_profile
> /home/dale/.bash_profile
> /home/dale2/.bash_profile
> r...@smoker / #
>
> I think the one in /etc/skel/ is the one you are looking for.  I posted
> the command so you would know how I found it.  ;-)

Changing it now won't do him any good - the one on skel is just a template
file copied over to the new home dir when a user is created.

He'll have to diff the files and apply the bits he wants to his own
.bash_profile

Or do the same to /etc/profile* to have it apply to all users as a global
default

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com