On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 4:43 PM, Volker Armin
Hemmann<volkerar...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Samstag 05 September 2009, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>> I recently stumbled upon an LWN article that mentioned Con Kolivas is
>> working on a new kernel scheduler for Desktop/Multimedia/Gaming PCs
>> called "BFS":
>>
>>     http://lwn.net/Articles/350100
>>
>> Well, I've tried it.  I wrote my experiences with it here:
>>
>>     http://lwn.net/Articles/350820
>>
>> If you're feeling adventurous, you might want to give that one a try. In
>> my case, it helped immensely, especially with sound latency and skips
>> and other artifacts during real-time playback (I was not using an RT
>> kernel before that though).  Note that BFS has been updated to 0.206
>> since I wrote that.
>>
>> The patch to kernel 2.6.30 and docs can be found at:
>>
>>     http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/bfs
>>

> and what is with people like me - who for some magical reasons don't have
> problems with skips or latency? Without using rt-kernels of course.-

Fire up Ardour and record 32 channels of audio at the same time set to
<5mS latency using Jack and see if whatever version of the mainline
kernel you are running doesn't have. I've recorded as many as 48
channels @ 48KHz across three hard drives at less than 2mS on my main
recording platform, but that requires rt-sources. I doubt I could do
better than about 25mS with vanilla-sources.

Just my experience,
Mark