On 09/20/2009 02:51 PM, Dale wrote:
Alan McKinnon wrote:

The reason you don't see bash in ps is because you are not running bash. I do,
but you obviously don't. What shell does root use per /etc/passwd?

This one:

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

Looks like bash.  ;-)  I assume this is the default because I have never
changed this file.  Is there something screwy with my system?

In linux bash is the default shell (even sh is a symlink to bash) but in
other OS's other default shells prevail.

How did you type your 'ps aux' command?  In an xterm window, or what?

Here's a snippet from my ps axf:  (I love that 'f' flag)

 4682 tty1     S      0:00 xterm -bg rgb:db/e9/f9 -sb -fn 9x15
 4685 pts/0    Ss     0:00  \_ bash
 4724 pts/0    S      0:00      \_ su
 4729 pts/0    S      0:00          \_ bash
22427 pts/0    R+     0:00              \_ ps axf