walt wrote:
> On 09/20/2009 05:40 PM, Dale wrote:
>> walt wrote:
>>> In linux bash is the default shell (even sh is a symlink to bash)
>>> but in
>>> other OS's other default shells prevail.
>
> Okay, okay, Alan, you're right, I have not tried every linux distro
> out there,
> but when I was a linux noob I tried every one I could find.  Back then
> that was
> Debian, SuSe, Red Hat, Mandrake (since morphed into something else),
> and very
> recently Ubuntu, just to see what all the fuss was about. (I'm
> sticking with
> gentoo.)
>
> All of those use(d) bash as the default shell, but may have switched
> while I
> wasn't looking.  Bash *appears* to be the official shell of GNU, as
> its home
> page is hosted there:  http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/
>
> BTW, all of the above distros including gentoo are officially
> un-endorsed by
> GNU:  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/common-distros.html
Actually, /bin/bash is a symlink -> /bin/dash on Ubuntu so dash (Debian
ash) is the default shell on Ubuntu (and either dash or ash is on
Debian).  I found that out the hard way when I was scripting and some
bash stuff wouldn't work properly.

--
Eric Martin
D1C4 086E DBB5 C18E 6FDA  B215 6A25 7174 A941 3B9F