Zitat von Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinri...@online.de>:

Zitat von William Hubbs <willi...@gentoo.org>:

On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 09:30:29PM +0200, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
Then explain why nox alone always works fine when I use it WITHOUT livecd.

If you are using an older version of xinit, it might work, but it also
causes you to have to reboot before you can restart X.  With the latest
stable, you will have to use gentoo=nox and it will also allow you to
restart X after a reboot just by doing /etc/init.d/xdm restart.

Thanks a lot, didn't know that.

Interestingly, I just stumbled accross this again, while updating config files. After reading the code, I'd say the above is not correct (at least not on ~x86 with bl2/openrc). Here it works like this:

There's /etc/init.d/xdm-setup, which checks for "nox" and touches (creates) a flag file /etc/.noxdm. When /etc/.noxdm exists, /etc/init.d/xdm doesn't start the display manager. So it's sufficient to remove the flag file to be able to start X.

Bye...

    Dirk