On 16 Oct 2009, at 12:58, Alex Schuster wrote:
daid kahl wrote:

Not really specific to gentoo, except that I want to do this with a
Gentoo PC: Is it possible to attach my Gentoo PC 'G' to another PC 'W' (running Windows) via USB, so that G appears to be a removable media to
W? I think you need special USB cables with some electronics in the
middlle for that, and I saw such a solution for Windows. Does anybody
know if this is possible with Linux?

Did you consider something like an ethernet cable and using samba?  I
haven't used my Linux drive specifically in another Windows machine,
but samba works fine for using our network scanner (and I can browse
the relevant filesystems setup in Samba).

The problem with this is that the PC is a closed system used for medical
ultrasound acquisitions, and I do not have access to it. So I cannot
configure any shares, and have to use what is already configured. The
software allows export of data to an USB stick, but I would like to avoid
having to move the stick around to the Linux PC afterwards.

The hack that springs to mind is to see if you can pick up an Openmoko Freerunner with a broken screen. I'd guess you might be able to pick one up for as little as $50 or so. It needs no SIM - you just connect it to your office wifi instead, configure it to act as a mass storage device and share the appropriate directory by Samba or NFS or whatever.

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Using_the_Neo_as_an_USB_Mass_storage_device

Configuring the device to boot up and automagically load the mass storage device kernel module - instead of the USB networking one, which is default - could be a bit tricky with a broken screen. But I doubt if you want to spend $200 on this, and I think that's about the going rate on a brand new Freerunner. I guess if you could buy one that the seller has proven working via ssh to USB - which is really standard on this device, it defaults to 192.168.0.202 - then you could get it to connect to your wifi and bind sshd to that interface, also. Once you know that's good and reliable, remove the USB interface from the sshd configuration, stop it from loading the USB ethernet module at boot and have it load the mass storage device module instead.

I do feel this is kinda a clumsy suggestion, to use a relatively expensive mobile phone - and such little of its functionality - for such an ostensibly-simple task. There must be other Linux-based devices which will pretend to be mass storage devices, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if some of them were quite cheap and readily available. But I have no idea what they might be.

Stroller.