On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann <
volkerar...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Samstag 17 Oktober 2009, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> > I normally stay logged in forever, even after updates.  I'm both busy and
> > lazy.  However, the Xorg flurry seemed to have died down, so I took the
> > plunge and rebooted.  Oops.
> >
> > <troll option=ignore>
> > It had not re-emerged xf86-input-* for me, a case that I think should be
> > handled automatically -- I use a source distro because I want to be able
> > tweak it, not so that it can force me to do so at arbitrary, inconvenient
> > and unpredictable intervals.
> > </troll>
> >

> gentoo is about 'doing it yourself' and 'emancipation of the user' and not
> about 'holding your hand'. It is not gentoo's fault if you act stupid.
>

> > My Xorg.conf does specify some details about the monitor, but no
> modeline.
> > I had to put that stuff in there originally to get my preferred 1280x1024
> > resolution.  Do I need to go back to the days of modelines?  Xorg.conf is
> > attached.
>
> Section "Monitor"
>        Identifier   "Monitor0"
>        VendorName   "WDE"
>        ModelName    "LCM-20v5"
>        Option      "DPMS"
> EndSection
>
> ?

Opinions differ about what constitutes stupidity.  I'm not much interested
in yours and I don't speak about mine, in part because neither one clarifies
anything.  Opinions about usefulness are another matter. Why not dispense
with portage and have everyone compile their own from tarballs -- just
publish a list of packages and patches; then you'd really not be holding
hands.  It seems to be a matter of degrees and judgement.

Modifying the monitor section made no noticeable change.  There's still a
24-pixel bleed off the right edge to begin with.  I can fool with settings
to make it bleed left instead, but there's no setting that affects pixel
spacing.  I like the cleaner monitor section, though.

I'm back to thinking about modelines.  Any better ideas?

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD