----- Original Message -----
  From: Kevin O'Gorman
  To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
  Sent: Saturday, October 17, 2009 4:11 PM
  Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Desperately seeking modelines;
xorg1.6.3.901-r2bleeds off the edges

  On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 12:56 PM, Richard Marza <richardmar...@optonline.net>
wrote:

    ---- Original Message -----
      From: Kevin O'Gorman
      To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
      Sent: Saturday, October 17, 2009 3:42 PM
      Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Desperately seeking modelines; xorg
1.6.3.901-r2bleeds off the edges

      On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 12:34 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com>
wrote:

        <alan.mckin...@gmail.com>wrote:
        > > On Saturday 17 October 2009 20:58:00 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
        > > > Modifying the monitor section made no noticeable change.  There's
still
        > > > a 24-pixel bleed off the right edge to begin with.  I can fool
with

        > > settings
        > >
        > > > to make it bleed left instead, but there's no setting that affects
        > > > pixel spacing.  I like the cleaner monitor section, though.
        > > >
        > > > I'm back to thinking about modelines.  Any better ideas?
        > >
        > > I'd try adjust the frequencies first, then try modelines.
        > >
        > > --
        > > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
        > >
        > > I'd try that too if I had a clue how to do it, let alone do it
safely.
        > > Got
        >
        > any pointers to FMs?

        Safe frequency ranges are in the monitor's documentation. Do you have
docs for
        your monitor (I'm using it's a CRT).

        You can safely reduce either horiz or vert range. As the electronics[1]
age,
        the monitor's ability to correctly sync the start of the picture with
the
        start of the display area deteriorates, especially at the upper bound.
If
        reducing the upper bound of the horiz setting improves matters, that is
        indicative of this happening.

        [1] more specifically, electrolytic capacitors. They are temperature-
        sensitive. Silicon does not "wear out" as such.

        --

        alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

      I have docs.  They are not very informative.

      When I start it up, the left edge is fine, which is the sync edge.
Because of that and because I can adjust positioning left and right, and
because the problem arose abruptly with the reboot to a new Xorg, I rate the
probability of hardware problems low (but not zero of course).

      It appears to be a problem of horizontal spacing of the pixels.  At it
stands there is not room for the last 24.

      --
      Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

10/16/09 18:39:00

      What type of monitor do you have?

      How old is it?

      What is the screen size?

      What exactly do you mean by bleeding edges? Does the gui scroll when you
move you mouse towards the edges? is that what you mean by bleeding?

      Another thing; Do you have the monitor manual? It will tell you the
proper H and V sync rates at certain resolutions.

      Are you sure it supports that resolution?

  It's as listed in the xorg.conf above: I can be sure because it's
Westinghouse.  It's a flat-screen.
  It's a couple of years old, I guess.  It's new enough to talk to X and report:
      (II) MACH64(0): clock: 121.8 MHz   Image Size:  410 x 308 mm
    which agrees with my ruler.  In inches a little over 16" x 12" visible.

  The video card is sending all 1280 dot columns.  I have a control on the
monitor called "H position" and I can scroll one pixel at a time to change
which 1256 dot columns I want to see of the 1280 that are sent.  The image does
not scroll with mouse movement.

  I have the manual.  You are way over-optimistic about its contents.  I had no
better luck on the web site.  The limits I've posted were acquired by X from
the monitor itself.

  The monitor did fine until I rebooted yesterday.  Its on-screen display shows
it thinks it's doing 1280x1...@60hz.
  It's close of course, but not quite there.

  --
  Kevin O'Gorman, PhD