On 10/31/2009 7:29 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:

So I think this thread addresses a question I've had about the kernel
installation process over the years. I only copy bzImage to /boot with
a rename to whatever this kernel is. I don't do anything with the
other files - System.map and something else - which I don't even have
on most of my systems anymore. They don't seem to be needed. Are they
just things used in the old days but now too outdated or replaced by
other stuff? (Like config.gz in the kernel, etc.)

Having a copy of the config file is useful, for me anyway, when I have multiple types of kernel (one without PaX, one without SELinux, whatever) and a new version comes out, I can copy its config from /boot to .config and run make oldconfig.

The System.map file is probably the least useful of the three for the average user. It's main use is for address resolution in oops messages. I think ps uses it for something as well.

--Mike