On 14 Nov 2009, at 20:46, Alan McKinnon wrote:
You are right of course, but in this particular case the guy who pays
wants  to have root access.

And you agreed to work like that?

So when he fucks things up good royal and proper, will he gladly accept his shafting and pay you more to undo it? Or will he do the usual customer stunt
and blame you?

My typical experience is that the customer will take it completely on the chin and pay me to fix the problems. That doesn't make foul-ups due to such unnecessary meddling any less frustrating, though.

I only work under one of two conditions:

I am root and the customer is not.
The customer is root and I am not.

This is clearly the "right" way to operate, however it can be extremely difficult to walk away from your largest-paying contract, just because the owner sees this particular issue differently.

One has to hope, really, that the client only wants the root password as insurance in case you get run over by a bus, and won't use it to arbitrarily mess about on the system.

Stroller.