> There's your problem right there. Your device-mapper can't work
> with baselayout-1. So, your options:
>
> Upgrade to baselayout-2 and openrc.

Done, following

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml

No joy.

After '*Autoloaded 24 module(s)' in the boot console there's the bit
'*lvm uses addon code which is deprecated' followed by '*Setting up
the LVM...*Checking local filesystems...' /dev/sda1 passes but
fsck.ext2 can't find /dev/sdb1,2 so /var and /home don't get mounted
and the system is crippled, although I  can still login and mount by
hand.

> device-mapper has moved into lvm2 (as lvm is the primary consumer
> of device-mapper). If device-mapper is not installed according to
> portage, and you have files left, then they are orphans left over
> because of CONFIG_PROTECT and can be deleted. Then emerge lvm2

I removed /etc/conf.d/device-mapper and /etc/init.d/device-mapper. I
emerged lvm2 and lvm is 'started', according to '/etc/init.d/lvm
status'. Question: Is there supposed to be an lvm2 in init.d? I just
have lvm.

IIRC in a thread from a few months ago there was a tip about putting
the 'pause <secs>' command into a certain config file, which I can't
recall. Or was it 'delay <secs>' or 'time <secs>' ? This was meant for
the hardware to catch its breath so to speak and allow the system to
find the SD card. This was about the same time I noticed that SD
support was missing from the kernel. So maybe it was the the delay I
added to that script, which may have disappeared in an etc-update
session, and not the SD support after all. Grabbing straws here ;(

mw